Tuesday, January 18, 2011

From Temporary to Eternal

Time after time I am continually amazed at how God continues to reveal Himself and I continue to grow in the things of Him. When I shift my views away from the temporary things of this life to focus on the eternal, everything in my life gets rearranged. This is a concept that they have been talking about at church lately and I am really starting to grasp it.

When you stop and ask yourself questions like 'What is truly important in life?' & 'Does this temporary thing really matter?' You start to unpack how eternity impacts our everyday lives and choices.

Yesterday I read all of my journal entries for the past year and a half. It was really neat to see my perspectives change and see how my life has changed because I chose to just do the next thing I knew was right. In looking back, it caused me to look forward and ask myself where am I going and am I still following what is eternal or am I caught up in the temporary?

The theme of this year so far has been LOVE, how do I receive love and how do I live love. Often times I forget that worship is not just about me telling God how much I love him or thanking Him for all he has done. Don't get me wrong, that is important but I am seeing that worship is also about letting God invade my heart so I can feel His love for me. One of the neatest ways I have seen God's love displayed for me is on my runs. I see how creative my God is and how His love is displayed for me in nature, whether it is an amazing sunset or a breathtakingly sunny afternoon in January. These are His love letters to me. Now the other aspect of this is how I am living love. This part has proved to be somewhat challenging for me. I serve on Impact Team at church (Impact Team means that we are the first people that churchgoers see, either a greeter or someone serving coffee. The coffee happens to be my job.)  I used to feel very pressured and uncomfortable having to prepare coffee for hundreds of people and then stand behind a cart and be happy and cheery. I think when I first started doing this job, I must not have smiled very much or talked to very many people (which is basically my job.) Long story short I am really learning what it is like to live love, to serve people and to not be soo self centered.

God continues to amaze me with how He continues to unfold his awesome love in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, girl. :) I've learned that same lesson myself this year.

    ReplyDelete