Sunday, January 30, 2011

Life Lessons From the Big White House

So it is time for some big news! I guess it is not that big of news. I am not getting engaged, married or having a baby (thank goodness!) Those are the BIG news events in life (I think.) It isn't really that.

The news is I am moving! And by I, I mean we (Rachael, Katy and myself). Our church owns a big white house next to their building that we have the opportunity to rent for very cheap. This house is old and needs a lot of work. It is a big project. We made a To Do Before We Move In  list and it is LONG! We gave 30 days notice on our apartment yesterday in Beaverton.

Oh, Beaverton. I thought I was going to love living in the city and I was 100% wrong! I hate it. It takes forever to go just 5 miles. Traffic sucks and neighbors are noisy. Morning drives to school take 20-25 minutes and we are only 5.7 miles away.  I am very happy to be moving to Scappoose and the drive to school will be just about as long, just more miles. I only lasted 6 months in Beaverton but I am very ready to be in a small town again.

So the fun work began yesterday. Rachael raked the lawn, which was caked full of leaves from months ago. We actually discovered that there was flowers trying to bloom under all that junk of rotting leaves! I started in the kitchen (go figure, I love cooking and I think a lot of life happens in the kitchen.) I was just planning on scrubbing the floor really, really, well but as soon as I moved the oven away from the wall, a few floor tiles came up thus prompting us to rip up the entire kitchen floor. This opened a whole new can of worms.

 Progress!
(More pictures to follow, when more progress has happened.)

In ripping up this floor, I thought of all the times in life we sometimes only plan on temporarily fixing things but in order to really get to the root of the problem, we just need to rip away the trash so things can get better. One specific time that I can apply this lesson to is a friendship/acquaintance with a girl who shall remain unnamed.  There was one incident that really made her upset at me, but I knew that what I was doing wasn't at all wrong and that I made the decisions that needed to be made but that really ticked her off. Since then, she has gotten very upset at me over meaningless things. I realize that I have only put a temporary fix on the root problem and never took the time to rip up the crap and deal with the real problem. Maybe ripping up this floor has given me the ability to deal with this, only time will tell.

Moving in to this new/old house is going to be a lot of work but if I continue to learn life lessons from it, then I am very glad we are moving. Another added bonus is that I will finally live in the same city that I go to church in, something that I have never done my entire life!

And, when this move/house up-date is done, I promise myself a trip to the beach. I am long over due for a nice walk on the sandy beaches of the pacific.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's so exciting! :) I know all about how crazy and fun those remodel/fix-up projects are. Haha. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete